A Letter to TMU Students
Source: Taipei Medical University
Published on 2020-03-20
Dear TMU Students,
I am writing with updates on recent measures introduced by the Taiwan government and TMU in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Every member of the TMU community is inevitably affected by these measures to various extent, and your compliance of the rules will be essential.
International Travel and Home Quarantine
- Effective today, Thursday 19th March 2020, Taiwan will bar foreign nationals from entering the country in accordance with measures announced by Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC). Exemptions will be granted to Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) holders and individuals meeting a few other criteria. All international students, especially those who are currently not in Taiwan, please make sure that your ARC is within the validation period, otherwise you might not be able to return for your study.
- According to travel advice by CECC, international travels are generally not encouraged now. TMU has also issued a special amendment to its international travel policy, which is applicable to every member of the TMU community and will be covered in the next section.
- Individuals entering Taiwan from Europe 5th March onward are required to follow home quarantine regulations for the period of 14 days. Leaving the place of your residence is strictly prohibited.
- Starting from 19th March 2020, any individuals entering Taiwan from abroad are required to follow home quarantine regulations for the period of 14 days. Leaving the place of your residence is strictly prohibited.
- For full details, please consult CECC press release and Taiwan Centres for Disease Control (CDC)
Leave for Absence
- Effective 17th March 2020, all faculty and staff members, students, postdoctoral researchers, and full-/part-time research assistants are prohibited to travel internationally without prior approval of the University.
- Students who need to undertake international travels must acquire permission from your department and the University’s senior leadership team and follow the required procedure to officially file your leave request before departing.
- During this period, students returning from their leave overseas will be subject to a 14-day period of home quarantine after entering Taiwan. All cost derived from the home quarantine requirements should be borne by the students.
- Scholarship awardees who must leave Taiwan during this period should be aware of the funder’s regulations that you are subject to. Please contact International Students Section at OGE if in doubt.
- Attendance of TMU Scholarship Awardees is one of the criteria for the continued appropriation of monthly stipend. Those who are approved to take leave should always report to the Office of Global Engagement your planned departure from and return to Taiwan in a timely manner to minimize the possible impact on your scholarships.
It is the moment like this that we realize how interconnected we are in the modern world. There has never been a time that is more testing, yet full of camaraderie, for us in the health science community. Things will understandably be slightly more challenging, but let’s stay calm and weather it through with positivity.
Dean, Office of Global Engagement